Sunday, October 25, 2009

Plainfield Parking Meters

Did you know that the Plainfield parking meters use batteries? They behave the same way clocks do when the batteries are weak. They don't keep time, but you end up with a $35 dollar ticket that can cause the registered owner to lose their license to drive if it is not paid.

We could also be vulnerable to a class action suit.

I buy Halal (Islamic Kosher) food downtown Plainfield, outstanding yogurt and my favorite restaurant where you can watch your food prepared. I also like to watch African movies while they braid my hair on Somerset Street where I got a ticket soon after putting the maximum of two hours on the meter.

When I went to the police to complain, I learned I could beat the ticket by a legally requesting the maintenance records. By the way the meter by the police station was so jammed with money it couldn't be used.

Why does this matter? It discourages people from shopping downtown. Its not right. We don't get the proper revenue from the machines and we get unjust revenue and penalties from the tickets. Loss of your drivers license can limit access to healthcare as well as work.

What happened to 'truth, justice and the American way'?
Are we participants, or are we prey?

Deborah Dowe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive